As you all know, I have two kinds of turtle now. They come from different species. Although Papoe has shared details about his species but I haven’t properly shared the differences of my two baby turtles.
Today is Thursday…I will share 13 physical differences between Papoe the Pink belly Short necked Turtle and Kroten the Red Eared Slider 🙂
1. According to their taxonomy, Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle (I will say it PBSNT from now on) and Red Eared Slider (RES) are only same until Subclass, which is Anapsida. They start to differ in Order. You can see their taxonomy clearly here> For PBNST and For RES.
2. PBSNT’s scientific name is Emydura Schultzei. RES’s scientific name is Trachemys scritpa elegans.
Now, Look at these two photos:
3. PBSNT barely has pattern while RES is full with pattern, both on skin and carapace
4. PBSNT has brown round eyes while RES has greenish/bluish eyes with black stripe across their iris. You can see RES’s wonderful eyes here.
5. Baby PBSNT has flatter carapace than baby RES. I still don’t know will Papoe still has that flat carapace as he gets older, we have to wait to know that 😉
6. PBSNT has webbed hand, kinda like a frog. RES doesn’t have webbed hand.
7. PBSNT can stretch their hand wider than their arm while RES can’t.
8. PBSNT can’t put their arms and legs inside their carapace while RES can easily hide all their arms and legs inside their carapace.
9. PBSNT can’t put their head inside, they can only move it side ways just like the long necked turtle. RES can easily put their head inside. If you have a tame RES, you can try pushing it as far as you can. I tried it with Kroten and Kame once, their heads were totally gone 😉
10. PBSNT has round carapace while RES has longer carapace, kinda like ellipse.
11. PBNST has dots behind their eyes while RES has red line behind their eyes
12. Shy PBSNT will look at human with one of their eyes while RES will look at human with both eyes but with half inside head
13. Last but not least, PBSNT is ten times more expensive than RES 😉