The purpose of World Turtle Day, May 23, sponsored yearly since 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue, is to bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for, turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
I don’t think it’s an official day which is being celebrated by people around the world, but since we are turtle family we must celebrate this special day🙂
According to Tortoise.com
Adults and children can do a few small things that can help to save turtles and tortoises for future generations:
- Never buy a turtle or tortoise from a pet shop as it increases demand from the wild.
- Never remove turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
- If a tortoise is crossing a busy highway, pick it up and send it in the same direction it was going – if you try to make it go back, it will turn right around again.
- Write letters to legislators asking them to keep sensitive habitat preserved or closed to off road vehicles, and to prevent off shore drilling that can lead to endangered sea turtle deaths.
- Report cruelty or illegal sales of turtles and tortoises to your local animal control shelter.
- Report the use of tiny turtles as prizes at carnivals and other events. It’s illegal.
- Report the sale of any turtle or tortoise of any kind less than four inches. This is illegal to buy and sell them throughout the U.S. << we are not in U.S, so this is not yet illegal.
As a way to celebrate this day, we had our pictures edited to match the logo😉
We hope this World Turtle Day can be known by more people and that we, turtles and tortoises, can be saved and loved by more people around the world🙂